Internships and Experiential Learning
Internships are an essential part of the Boler experience.
Bloomberg Businessweek’s 2016 “Best Undergraduate Business Schools” Employer Survey (recruiters at 600 companies) ranked the Boler College of Business #1 in the nation for how well we prepare students for careers at their companies.
Both graduate and undergraduate programs at Boler combine classroom learning with significant project work and exposure to business leaders and challenges. An internship is an invaluable way for you to put theory into practice, and to compare how different businesses and teams approach and solve problems, innovate and create value.
Your internship will help you in the following ways:
- Knowledge sticks when you use it — an internship provides an arena to practice what you learn.
- Your career choice will depend, in part, on who you meet along the way— internships allow you to walk in the shoes of different people doing many different jobs.
- Confidence travels — do something rewarding at an internship and it will likely rub off in terms of participation and performance in the classroom.
- College eventually ends — networks keep growing throughout your career. Your internship is where and how you get a network started.
For information, please contact Logan Vess.
Find Your Opportunity in Cleveland
The five-county Greater Cleveland area, with a population of more than 2 million, offers Boler students — undergraduate and graduate — the chance to intern with a wide range of companies and organizations.
Cleveland’s economy includes big and small, old and new, with eight Fortune 1000 company headquarters and more than 700 biotechnology and biomedical companies. Employers in the area cover everything from technology, life sciences, transportation, health care, light and heavy manufacturing, banking, and multinational corporations.
Accounting students have access to the “Big Four” multinational, as well as numerous regional and local, public accounting firms. Additionally, students interested in working in corporate accounting can gain experience within nearby corporations.
Boler Internships At-A-Glance:
Internships may be completed for academic credit and the majority are paid.
- 88% percent of Boler undergraduates complete at least one internship.
- Boler assigns a full-time internship and employer relations coordinator to connect students to opportunities, regionally and nationally.
- Four undergraduate majors (marketing, management and human resources, economics, international business) require an internship.
- Current salaries for interns average around $13 an hour.
- On average, 70% percent of undergraduate interns receive offers of full-time employment from the same company or organization.
Sample full-time summer internships:
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Western New York
Cleveland Classical Guitar Society
Cleveland Clinic Innovations
Ernst & Young
Institute on HealthCare Directives
Kansas City T-Bones Baseball Club
New Era Cap
Rochester Red Wings Baseball
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Skylight Financial Group
Snow Capital Management
The Cleveland Indians
The E.W. Scripps Company
The Precision Metalforming Association
The Sherwin-Williams Company
Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thomas Johnson Inc.
Travel Center of America
United States Steel Corporation
Wegmans Food Markets
Many of our students look for work experience to transfer their learning skills in the classroom to a professional environment. Although only four of our Boler majors require an internship to graduate, we welcome all Boler students to utilize the Boler internship approval process to receive the non-credit course notation on their college transcript. In order for any Boler student to be admitted to this course, an application must be submitted prior to the start date of the internship.
For additional information regarding the Boler internship approval process and application for internship approval, please click here.
For information on Internships please contact:
Assistant Director - Academic Internships
Center for Career Services
John Carroll University