The Boler College of Business at John Carroll University is founded on the Jesuit tradition of educational excellence. We strive to instill a passion in each of our students so they leave John Carroll ready to make a difference in business and in the world.
1886: The College opens under the name Saint Ignatius College.
1923: College’s name changes to John Carroll University to commemorate the Jesuit who became the first bishop of the United States.
1934: The Business Administration faculty established in College of Arts and Sciences.
1935: John Carroll University relocates to its current Cleveland suburb location in University Heights which includes an official Department of Business Administration.
1945: Department expands into the College of Business, Economics and Government.
1957: The department’s name officially changes to School of Business.
1974: The College adds Graduate Programs in Business and initiates the Masters of Business Administration Program.
1984: Established the Edward J. and Louise E. Mellen Chair in Finance
1984: Established The Standards Products – Dr James S. Reid Endowed Chair in Management
1988: The College is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
1989: An endowment-funded renovation of the College of Business takes place, adding the Bruening Hall wing.
1990: Established the KPMG Professorship in Accountancy.
1994: The Department of Accountancy receives AACSB Accreditation.
1995: The College of Business celebrates its 50th anniversary.
1996: The College honors the generosity of John M. and Mary Jo Boler by renaming itself the John M. and Mary Jo Boler College of Business.
1998: Established the Kahl Endowed Chair in Entrepreneurship.
1999: Established the Edward M. Muldoon Center for Entrepreneurship.
2001: The first Commencement of the Masters of Science in Accountancy graduate business program takes place.
2004: The M.B.A. program celebrates its 30th anniversary.
2008: Established the Mulwick Scholars and the Wasmer Fellows program.
2011: Established the Koch Chair in International Business.
2014: Boler College of Business launches a Masters in Laboratory Management in partnership with the Cleveland Clinic.
2012: Established the Raymond & Eleanor Smiley Endowed Chair in Business Ethics.
2015: Established the Robert T. Sullens Endowed Professorship
2016: Celebrates the 20th Anniversary of the Naming of the Boler College of Business with a symposium on sustainable business.