Skip to main content

International Students

Your first step to becoming a Boler student is applying to John Carroll University. You’ll indicate your interest in pursuing a major in business on your application. If you’re accepted to JCU, you’re also accepted in the Boler College of Business.

An admitted student wishing to enroll at JCU will need to send a completed Financial Guarantee Statement and a copy of your passport in order for John Carroll to process and issue the necessary paperwork for students to obtain a student visa (I-20 or DS 20 19 forms).

Key International Admissions Deadlines:

Fall Semester Priority

Apply before February 1 to meet the International Priority Deadline for your application to be eligible for priority admission for the following fall semester.

Fall Semester Rolling

Apply before May 1 to meet the International Priority Deadline for your application to be eligible for rolling/regular admission for the following fall semester.


Spring Semester Rolling

Apply before October 1 to meet the International Priority Deadline for your application to be eligible for rolling/regular admission for the following spring semester.


Key Admissions Information

John Carroll University codes:

  • ACT (3282)
  • TOEFL/SAT (1342)
Application Process Overview:


  1. Submit the Common Application with essay online.
  2. Submit official academic transcripts and secondary school records showing current year’s progress and the previous three years’ subjectsIn cases where transcripts are in a language other than English, the original transcripts should be submitted along with English translations and a grading scale.
    1. Submit results of standardized tests from one or more of the following:
      TOEFL (preferred minimum scores: paper-based 550, internet-based 79)
      IELTS (preferred minimum score: 6.5)
      SAT (middle 50% range of old SAT: critical reading 500-600, mathematics 510-610, writing 480-590)
      ACT (middle 50% range: composite 22-27, average 25)
      Students not meeting our preferred minimum testing requirements may be asked to complete an additional in-person or Skype interview for admission consideration.
  3. A photocopy of your passport.

Evaluation of Foreign Credentials

Applicants who completed all or part of their education through a non-U.S. college or university are required to have their non-US credentials evaluated by an independent evaluation service. A course-by-course and grade point average equivalent evaluation are required for applicants to all Boler College of Business programs. We ask that you use one of the following agencies:

World Education Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 11623
Chicago, IL 60611-0623

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470

Official Translations

Documents submitted in a language other than English must be accompanied by official translations.

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

The TOEFL is required for international applicants whose primary language is not English. A student from abroad whose native language is English, who has completed his or her work at a foreign university where English is the language of instruction, or who has graduated from an American institution is exempt from this testing requirement. Official score reports must be sent directly to John Carroll University by the Educational Testing Service. Unofficial copies of the score report may be included in the self-managed application for initial review and evaluation. This does not replace the requirement of an official score report for those applicants who are offered admission. TOEFL scores are valid for two years.

Minimum TOEFL Language Test Scores

  • Paper 550
  • Computer 217
  • Internet 79

* TOEFL scores are valid for two years.

Financial Ability

International applicants who wish to obtain an I-20 for an F-1 visa must include financial documentation showing the ability to finance tuition and living expenses while attending the Boler College of Business.

Sponsored Students

This documentation is typically in the form of a bank statement and must have a current date. If the applicant is being sponsored by a third party, then the sponsor must provide a letter stating intentions to finance the applicant’s education, along with the sponsor’s financial documentation.


Tuition, room and board, and any associated fees for international students at John Carroll University is the same as for domestic students.

Scholarships and Financial Aid

Students who lack the means to cover these costs are encouraged to explore the possibility of applying for external scholarships and loans. The International Student Organization headquartered in New York also maintains a good list of scholarship sources that are worth exploring. Other sources of financial aid information are:

Housing Information

Students can contact the Office of Residence Life at 216.397.4408 or via email at Additional housing information may be found online:

Visa Status

For international students who are currently in the United States, documentation of your current visa status must be submitted with the self-managed application. Proper documentation includes:

  • Copy of I-20 and I-94 if on an F-1 visa
  • Copy of visa stamp and I-94 if on another type of visa
  • Copy of Resident Alien card, front and back, if classified as a Resident Alien

Please note: All documents submitted become property of John Carroll University and cannot be returned.

Global Cleveland

Global Cleveland attracts, welcomes and connects international newcomers to economic and social opportunities in Cleveland and Cuyahoga County. As an international student, you can get help from volunteers to get settled in Cleveland’s neighborhoods, schools, and jobs. Global Cleveland want to get to know you and help you with your transition.

Cleveland Council on World Affairs

The Cleveland Foreign Consular Corps, formed in 1925, is comprised of honorary consuls, (usually American citizens), or career consuls, (citizens of the countries they represent paid by those countries for their full-time service). Both groups aid nationals living (or studying/visiting) in the Cleveland area.